Do you find it satisfying to provide timely and accurate pay to employees? Are you someone who understands and can meet compliance requirements for multiple provinces? Do you pride yourself on providing helpful and informative information to employees? If you answered yes, we would love to hear from you!
Sim is a leading supplier of film/TV studio, production equipment, as well as workflow/dailies and post-production services. We’re proud to have supported features such as “Deadpool,” the Oscar-winning documentary, “OJ: Made in America,” the hit shows, “Game of Thrones,” “Mr. Robot,” “Stranger Things” and “Handmaid’s Tale”.
Our divisions are located throughout North America and provide a range of services, including Studio rentals (Vancouver), Lighting & Grip rentals (Vancouver, Toronto), Camera rentals (Vancouver, Toronto, Hollywood, Atlanta) and Post services (Vancouver, Toronto, Hollywood, New York, Atlanta). Our Hollywood office provides the industry’s only camera-through-post services venue.
For more information, visit siminternational.com or visit us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn @simcomplete.
So why should you choose Sim?
We can offer you:
- Competitive wages in line with market standards
- Retirement savings program with company matching
- Comprehensive company-sponsored health benefits
- Perks including discounted health and wellness programs
- Exposure to best-in-class motion picture technologies
- Free parking (at many locations)
- Company events including, food truck lunches, summer BBQ’s, technology workshops, and industry events
- The opportunity to mentor new hires and interns
- Open-door communication
- A work environment where you can really make an impact!
The Payroll Administrator will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the payroll, timekeeping, and payroll reporting processes for all Canadian companies under the Sim Group of Companies using the Ceridian Dayforce system. This includes preparing and processing bi-weekly payroll for several entities, managing all changes, reporting, reconciliations, audits, and serving as a resource for internal stakeholders with payroll questions.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the preparation, coordination, and processing of a multi-province, bi-weekly payroll for multiple divisions within Canada
- Review and ensure accuracy of approved timesheets, earnings, deductions, and tax calculations in the payroll system
- Process, manage, and track all necessary payroll deductions, including garnishments, child support, levies, and other special payroll deductions
- Handle the administration of the electronic timekeeping system
- Review and reconcile monthly Benefits invoicing
- Prepare and submit employee and employer contributions to the RRSP and DPSP plans
- Ensure vacation and sick time is tracked accurately through payroll
- Administer safety boot program and ensure appropriate payment
- Process T4’s and T4 Summary at year-end
Compliance and Reporting
- Ensure compliance with all applicable provincial and federal wage and hour laws as well as tax filings and proper deductions
- Stay abreast of all timekeeping and payroll law, regulations and tax changes to ensure compliance, implementing changes as required
- Assist in annual audits for Retirement Plan, Benefits Plans and Workers Compensation
- Prepare bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, tax deductions, etc.) for management as required
- Interface with accounting to ensure accurate and timely reporting of payroll financial data
- Monitor payroll related provincial and federal reports, provincial and federal tax filings, and regulatory agency communications
- Prepare schedules to support annual compliance reporting
Payroll/HRIS System Maintenance
- Assist with ongoing set up, testing and maintenance of the payroll/HRIS system
- Perform configuration updates in the payroll/HRIS system including earning & deduction setup, shift schedule setup, benefit rate updates, EI rate updates, Workers Comp rate updates, tax remittance schedule changes, annual pay period calendar generation and annual stat holiday setup
- Create custom reports on payroll data as required
- Work with payroll software support to troubleshooting payroll issues
- Assess new software enhancements and provide recommendations for adoption
- Provide timely, high quality customer service to our employees with respect to their compensation concerns, including overtime, time off, retirement funds, and benefit deductions
- Facilitate management and employee understanding of payroll procedures
- Strengthen and develop the relationships with Payroll’s internal and external customers
- Work closely with Human Resources to effectively communicate verbally and in writing any discrepancies according to the organization’s policies and within regulatory, legal and other payroll requirements
- Complete employment verifications, unemployment wage audits, and other necessary wage and hour verifications
- Coordinate regularly with human resources, accounting, and other departments to ensure proper flow and maintenance of employee data (including preparation/distribution of detailed reports, e.g. labour” home” work, overtime, leave balances, head count, and retirement contribution reports)
- Recommend changes in methods or procedures to improve the efficiency of the payroll function
- Assist Human Resources with updating and managing payroll records (e.g., updating employee personnel records, employment records, and benefit changes)
- Additional duties, as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Minimum of post-secondary diploma (or equivalent) obtained in a related field
- Minimum 4 years of experience with all payroll functions, including processing multi-province payroll
- PCP required
- CPM desirable
- Experience with Ceridian Dayforce required
- Experience with system upgrades enhancements or conversion projects is desirable
- Strong working knowledge of payroll processing, payroll tax laws and related CRA reporting requirements
- Knowledge of accounting that includes spreadsheets and relational data base programs
- Knowledge of accounting software (i.e. Oracle, Great Plains, QuickBooks)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, with a proficiency in Microsoft Excel required and Access preferred
- Strong skills using and understanding the flow of transactions in an integrated and automated payroll accounting system.
- Very strong attention to detail
- Effective organizational, decision making and problem-solving skills
- Ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner
- Ability to work well within a team environment under pressure and with minimal supervision, adhering to tight deadlines handle multiple tasks
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to confidently and accurately interact with all employees
- Excellent problem solving/judgment skills, and high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Capacity for listening, dealing with confrontation, and overcoming objections all with a customer-centric mentality
Working Conditions & Physical Effort
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment
- Some physical effort required as everyone on the Sim team is asked from time to time to pitch in and help share the load.
- Some exposure to physical risk
- All job descriptions are subject to change based on the evolving needs of the company.
The company reserves the right to make changes to all job descriptions with the evolving needs of the company.
Equal Opportunity & Accommodation
Sim is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other basis protected by law.
Sim is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are compliant with local legislation. Applicants requiring accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process are encouraged to advise accordingly.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org