Sim is a leading supplier of film/TV studio production equipment, as well as workflow/dailies and post-production services. We’re proud to have supported features such as “Deadpool,” “Handmaid’s Tale,” “Game of Thrones,” “Stranger Things,” “Power Rangers” and “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.”
We provide Studio, Camera, Lighting & Grip, Dailies and Post Production services and have locations throughout Canada and the United States.
For more information, visit siminternational.com or visit us on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn @simcomplete.
About the Position
The Layback Operator coordinates with mix assistants, video assistants and administration to create, QC and prepare deliverables efficiently and expediently to meet all deadlines.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Arrive early enough to set up sessions and make sure that all deliverables are created and QC’d in time for scheduled delivery and to the highest standard
- Track layback and mix session particulars in the layback logs to maintain consistency and quality throughout the project and to keep others in the department up to date
- Communicate with mix and video assistants to make sure all deliverables are delivered as scheduled
- Report any technical issues to tech department immediately so they may be taken care of
- Help to maintain the backup vault together with the mix and video assistants
- Look at the schedule every day to be aware of any changes
- Help implement any new systems that may be beneficial to the department (as technology changes) and maintain checklists with updates based on new workflow
- Back up sessions at end of each day and coordinate with mix assistants for any transfers that require immediate attention
- Be available to assist mix assistants, video assistants and administration in whatever tasks are required
- Keep Layback racks and rooms properly maintained, organized, and tidy
- Keep basements common areas such as kitchen and lounges tidy and presentable
- Interact with clients in a friendly and professional way and make sure their needs are met
- Take client food and coffee orders when they are in need of service
- External contacts – Producers, Directors, Post Production Supervisors, Picture Editors and Assistant Editors, Actors scheduled for ADR, key people at related facilities
- Internal Contacts – Project Coordinator, Director of operation, Management, Scheduling, Reception, Mixers and other Assistants, Sound Editors and Assistants, Tech Department, Accounting
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Experience with Pro Tools and other Post Production equipment and software
- Audio engineering and ear training with the ability to hear audio production techniques and impairments
- Problem solving, troubleshooting, and audio routing knowledge are an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work as a team player in a busy environment and handle the demands and pressures of multiple daily deadlines
- Attention to detail and record keeping skills
- Attention to Detail – Ensures accuracy and completeness when preparing documents, recording information and entering data.
- Communication – Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing across the Company. Listens carefully and takes care not to make assumptions.
- Customer Service Oriented – Thinks and acts in a way that considers the needs of clients and others and ensures a high level of quality and satisfaction for all
- Managing Change – Initiates and manages change to achieve the strategic and operational goals of the Company
- Planning and Organizing – Establishes a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and others to achieve short and long term goals
- Teamwork – Participates actively in a team to improve the Company’s effectiveness
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Work is normally performed in a typical office/studio work environment
- On some projects extra hours are required in order to meet delivery deadlines
- High industry expectations and pressures due to project schedules constantly changing
- Client service includes the ability to acknowledge client requests after hours and on weekends
- May be required at the office on weekends and holidays
- May be required to travel
Perks You’ll Receive
We can offer you:
- Competitive wages in line with market standards
- Retirement savings program with company matching
- Comprehensive company-sponsored health benefits
- Perks including discounted health and wellness programs
- Employment Assistance Program (EAP) for counseling, financial planning, work-related concerns
- Exposure to best-in-class motion picture technologies
- Free parking with electric charging station(s) at most locations
- Company events including: food truck lunches, summer BBQ’s, technology workshops, and industry events;
- The opportunity to mentor new hires and interns
- A work environment where you can really make an impact
- Growth opportunities and a career, not just a job
Equal Opportunity & Accommodation
Sim is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans’ status or any other basis protected by law.
Sim is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are compliant with local legislation. Applicants requiring accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process are encouraged to advise accordingly.
How to apply
Please submit your resume to HR@siminternational.com.